Saturday 3 January 2009

get in another test!

Fill in the gaps with the correct phrase from below and ONLY THEN click on the “gap” box to check your answer.

get in (x5)

Kirril decided he could a quick one down the pub before he had to go. It was, after all, his first day on the job and he needed some kind of Dutch courage to see him through. Behind the bar was his friend Ivan, the barman.
‘Hey Vanya, what’ll you have?’ asked Kirril.
‘Nonsense, Kirrilnik,’ replied Ivan, using the little-known diminutive of Kirril’s name. ‘It’s my turn, I’m sure. I’ll .’
‘I’ll have a Guinness thanks.’
‘I wouldn’t advise that,’ cautioned the barman. ‘Apparently, they were the barley harvest when a cold snap wiped half of it out. What was left was tainted. It hasn’t fermented properly.’
‘What are you talking about?’ snapped Kirril. ‘Guinness isn’t fermented. That’s the point of it.’
‘Really?’ asked the barman. ‘Honestly, Kirrilnik, I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing. I need to an expert barman to help me. You wouldn’t fancy it would you?’
‘Listen, I’d have been the first to my application had I been out of work, but today is the first day of my new job.’
‘Is that so?’ asked Vanya. ‘And what is your new job?’
‘O,’ replied Kirril. ‘Head of Bahili Security at the most prestigious language school in the world....’

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Collocation of the Week by Dr Myers is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.