Saturday 17 January 2009

burn this test!

Fill in the gaps with the correct phrase from below and ONLY THEN click on the “gap” box to check your answer.


burn your bridges________burn something up
________money burns a hole in your pocket________
burn yourself out
_____get your fingers burned

At the 2009 International Arsonists' Convention in Miami, Bert Montaine was upset. 'Who the hell decided to hold the Convention at Waterworld? You can't set fire to anything here - it's all water! I've box after box of matches but nothing catches light! Nitwits!'
Dora the Fedora, Arsonist of the Year in 1978, concurred. 'The only thing that's on fire is my cash. I tell you, it's. I've saved up all year to come here but there's nothing to buy: no accelerants, no incendiary devices, not even any intersting lighters.'
Bert sighed. 'Funnily enough, I bought into a company once that made accelerants but I when it went belly-up.'
Ignoring Bert, Dora the Fedora threw a fish at a passing dolphin. 'Let's face it, the whole thing's a dead loss. I put so much into making flame-retardant macramé kits for the knitting competition, and now it looks like I nearlyfor nothing.'
'Well,' said Bert standing up, 'This is the last time I come to one of these conventions. As far as I'm concerned, they've.' He kicked over a fire extinguisher standing by a door. 'And good riddance too!'

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like TOEFL and IELTs because you cannot fail them, but they are boring I think. I like you crazy story again.

Tony said...

Thank you Ramon. If you try, you can fail both TOEFL and IELTS, although I agree that they are not as interesting as the Cambridge Suite exams.

 
Creative Commons License
Collocation of the Week by Dr Myers is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.